Sunday, 18 November 2012

Broccoli Cheddar Soup and Fresh Baked Bread

Welcome back! I've been a bit busy of late and have not had much blog worthy food to write about but Sundays generally mean I have some time on my hands...so I usually get into the kitchen. Today I was planning on making broccoli cheddar soup, which was a pretty straightforward recipe. But, I also decided it as time to bite the bullet and make some bread.

I have wanted to make bread for a long time but it just seemed like a very daunting task. A lot of the recipes I read said you had to make the dough and then let it sit overnight, and I am pretty impatient so when I want to make bread, I want it done the same day. I had a few recipes that sounded pretty easy,  because bread is becoming more of a "mainstream" thing I guess you could say. All of recipes I had were for no knead artisan bread, so it is very easy to make. Well, that's lovely but I still have to wait overnight for it.

So I finally found a recipe (where else, on Pinterest) that sounded really easy, and touted that you could have fresh baked bread in your tummy in around an hour. So I decided to give it a shot, and hope for the best but told my self not to get pissed if it didn't turn out. I will admit, I have a kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook so this really was so easy. If you don't have this wonderful machine, you should get one! I'm only kidding (sort of), I know it's not feasible for everyone to own this fabulous device and apparently this bread is just as easy to make with a good old wooden spoon.

So anyways, here is the recipe for both the bread and the broccoli cheddar soup. Enjoy!


                                 
Ingredients:

Bread
2 1/2 cups warm water

2 tbsp instant yeast

2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

3 tbsp olive oil

5 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Directions:

First preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Pour the warm water into a large bowl (keep in mind the dough will almost double, so seriously, use a big bowl). The water should be around 100 degrees Fahrenheit, if you have a meat thermometer just stick it under the running water until it is close. It should be like warm bath water. Mix the yeast into the water and then sprinkle the sugar over top the water. Wait approximately 5 minutes until the water is bubbly on top from the yeast.

Next stir in the salt, oil and flour. Mix everything together with a wooden spoon until everything is incorporated together. Then give it a few extra mixes to "knead" the dough together, making sure it is smooth and starts to pull away from the bowl. Once the dough it mixed place a wet, warm dish towel over the bowl. Run your microwave for 2 minutes with nothing in it, and then place the covered bowl in the microwave for 15 minutes while the dough rises. The warm environment will help the dough rise.

(I used this time when the dough was rising to prep ingredients for my soup)

Once the 15 minutes has elapsed remove the bowl from the microwave, the dough should be quite large now. Flour your counter top a bit and then pour the dough out of the bowl. Cut the dough into two halves, of roughly the same size. Pull the dough into a round loaf shape, and tuck the edges underneath itself. Place the round loaves onto a greased cookie sheet, and into the oven for 30 - 35 minutes. Along with the bread place a bowl of 5 - 6 ice cubes on the rack below your bread. As the bread cooks the ice will melt into steam and help your bread get crisp on the outside. When the timer goes, voila! Remove your golden, steamy, delicious bread from the oven, let it cool, and enjoy!

*Note, if you want a fluffier bread (because it is pretty dense) let it rise for 30 minutes, knead it again for a couple of minutes, then let it rise another 30 minutes. After that follow the same instructions.


Ingredients:

Broccoli Cheddar Soup
2 tbsp butter (or margarine)

1 small onion, minced (a very small dice)

1 stalk celery, minced

3 cloves of garlic, minced

2 heads of broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces

2 cups chicken stock

2 cups milk

1/2 cup flour

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

This recipe is really quite easy, once you've chopped everything up. Heat the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and cook until soft. Next add the garlic and cook for a minute or two or until fragrant (until you really start to smell it). Add the broccoli pieces, mix everything together and cook for another minute or two. Add the chicken broth, allow it to come to a soft boil and then cover until the broccoli is soft (5 - 7 minutes).

While the broccoli is cooking, mix the flour into the milk making sure to whisk out any lumps. Once the broccoli is done, add the milk/flour mixture to the pot and stir everything together gently. Let it cook for another minute or two and the soup will thicken up. Once the soup has thicken, removed from heat, and add the cheese. Stir the soup until all of the cheese is melted through and finish with salt and pepper. Serve with a small helping of cheese on top (and with fresh bread)! Yummers!


Sources: Bread recipe modified from Keep Home Simple
               Soup recipe modified from The Little Girls Guide to Sugar and Spice
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment